Southeast Advanced Water Reclamation
Facility (SEAWRF) Project
Join us for a Public Meeting about the project!
January 31, 2023
Join us for a Public Meeting on Tuesday, January 31, 2023, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Open House) at Hilton Garden Inn Fort Myers Airport/FGCU, 16410 Corporate Commerce Way, Fort Myers, FL 33913. Lee County values and seeks community input on the Southeast Advanced Water Reclamation Facility Project. Meeting attendees will be able to meet the project team, ask questions, provide feedback and discuss the project one-on-one. Click here to view the map of the meeting location.
Water quality is a top priority of the Lee Board of County Commissioners and water quality initiatives occur year-round. Water quality affects residents and visitors alike, and everyone has an opportunity to be a part of the solution. Water quality is the driver behind the Southeast Advanced Water Reclamation Facility (SEAWRF) Project. Responsible management of wastewater is key to maintaining the county’s water quality overall.
Lee County Utilities is beginning the design phase for the SEAWRF Project, which is proposed to be located at 14201 Alico Road in Fort Myers, Florida. The SEAWRF project will provide the county with a 6 million gallons per day advanced water reclamation facility that can be expanded to 10 million gallons per day. The project is needed to support existing and future population in the area.
An advanced water reclamation facility produces a “higher quality” water by removing nutrients in addition to the normal components removed in a standard biological wastewater treatment facility. The resulting water would be safe for public reuse in landscape irrigation and other potential beneficial uses.
Advance Water Treatment (AWT) will help to further remove nutrients from the treated wastewater, or effluent. Removing nutrients from the effluent water and making it available for irrigation would help lessen the demand for potable drinking water and protect and improve Lee County’s water quality.
Lee County Comprehensive Plan Amendment and Rezoning
Comprehensive Plan Amendment
- Application number CPA2023-00003
- The Lee County Local Planning Agency public hearing is scheduled for:
- Date: September 25, 2023
- Time: 9:00 a.m.
- Location: Lee County Administration East Building (Room 118), 2201 Second St., Fort Myers, FL 33901
- The Lee County Board of County Commissioners public hearing for the Comprehensive Plan Amendment is scheduled for:
- Date: October 18, 2023
- Time: 9:30 a.m.
- Location: Old Lee County Commission Chambers, 2120 Main Street, Fort Myers, FL 33901
Request to rezone 112 +/- acres from AG-2 to Community Facilities Planned Development (CFPD) to allow for the development of an Advanced Water Reclamation Facility and supportive infrastructure.
- Application number DCI2023-00011
- The Lee County Hearing Examiner public hearing is scheduled for:
- Date: October 19 & 20, 2023
- Time: 9:00 a.m.
- Location: Lee County Hearing Examiner Office, 1500 Monroe Street, 2nd Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33901
Here is how you sign up to receive information about the project!